16 May 2011

Health Food Blogs - Friend of Foe?

Back in 2010 I wrote a post about ‘healthy living’/food blogs: http://beyondthin.blogspot.com/2010/12/health-food-bloggers.html.
For those of you not in the know, these health food blogs are a hot trend on the blogosphere. They’re mostly written by women, who detail their efforts to live full and healthy lives in minute detail. This usually includes details of their exercise regimens and what they’ve eaten. I must admit I’ve got pretty into them recently. My favs are Carrots n' cake, Oh She Glows and Kath Eats Real Food. The ones I follow are all written by women who seem to eat plentiful, wholesome food, who don’t calorie count obsessively (usually not at all) and who exercise pretty regularly.  So they’re not ‘pro-ana’ in any way; in fact, you could say they’re pro-health and anti-ana. Some of the writers have even had eating disorders in the past and have now recovered. But, even though these blogs are only showing me healthy eating patterns and habits (many much healthier than my own), I sometimes worry that it might be psychologically unhealthy for me to follow other women’s eating patterns in this way. On the one hand, I worry that it could fuel my obsessions with food and exercise, but on the other hand I sometimes feel that these blogs may inspire me to focus on health instead of calories and weight. What do you guys think? Do any of you follow these kind of health food blogs? How do you find they effect you psychologically?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I've just been browsing through your blog and as someone recovering from an ED I've just been really comforted with the famliarity of what you've written about and dealt with yourself - this post in particular I can relate to. Recently I've started following these kinds of blogs and to an extent, they're super helpful - inspiring women who love good food and take care of themselves.

    The problem is obviously the obsessing about food & exercise, healthy or not - it shouldn't preoccupy my mind. So, like everything it just seems like I'll need to follow them 'in moderation'! Anyway, thanks for your honesty, great blog.

    ReplyDelete